Baker II (Central Bakery)
Job no: 508611
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Central Bakery
Categories: Food Service/Hospitality
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Prepares baked goods such as bread, rolls and pastries; decorate cakes and other baked goods; operates equipment such as bread slicer, mixers and ovens; inspects baking ingredients for spoilage; performs related work as required.
- Prepares baked goods by assembling utensils and ingredients; weighing and measuring ingredients; rolling, cutting and shaping dough for rolls, bread and pastries; filling molds and pans with prepared food; placing and removing trays and pans from ovens; mixing fillings, icing, glazes and other toppings and ingredients for bread, rolls, pastries and other baked goods.
- Decorates cakes and other baked goods with icing and adds fillings to various pastries.
- Provides on-the-job training in order to teach baking skill to employees.
- Evaluates food quality, appearance and taste through observation and tasting in order to determine if it is fresh, properly portioned and prepared correctly.
- Inspects work and storage areas for compliance with sanitation codes.
- Operates equipment such as bread slicer, large and small mixers and fryolators according to standard procedures to facilitate the baking process.
- Inspects baking ingredients such as flour, sugar and shortening to detect spoilage.
- Cuts, bags, and wraps baked goods and places food in carts or trucks for delivery to other locations.
- Performs related duties such as cleaning and/or sterilizing equipment and work areas.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- At least one year of full-time or equivalent part-time experience in preparing and baking bread, rolls, and pastries in a hotel, restaurant, cafeteria, catering firm, bakery, government or private institution or one of the following substitutions:
- (A diploma from a recognized trade, technical, or vocational school at the high school level with a major in baking may be substituted for the required experience.
- A Bachelor's Degree or higher with a major in baking science may be substituted for the required experience.)
- Ability to read and interpret weights and measures tables.
- Ability to calculate percentages, ratios and proportions.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to give written and oral instructions in a precise, understandable manner.
- Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules, policies and procedures governing the operation of the Auxiliary Services Bakery.
- Knowledge of the standard methods and techniques used in baking.
- Knowledge of the safety practices and procedures followed in baking.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of materials, ingredients and supplies used in baking such as leavening agents, flour, soda, etc.
- Ability to supervise, including planning and assigning work, controlling work, training and disciplining.
- Skill in pastry and/or cake decorating.
- National Restaurant Association Applied Food Service Sanitation certification preferred, or willingness to attend the course.
Incumbents must be certified as food handlers within six months of the appointment start date through a recognized program approved by the University of Massachusetts (i.e., ServSafe).
4am - 12pm; may include weekends and holidays (40 hours per week)
AFSCME Pay Grade 11
AFSCME Pay Schedule
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend