About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Outreach Coordinator and Workplace English Instructor will assist the Program Director in the oversight of on-campus program design, implementation, and services. S/he/they will collaborate with core program partners (the University, AFSCME, USA/MTA, and PSU) and program staff to insure smooth, effective functioning of the program.
- Co-coordination of campus-wide program development: developing on-campus course offerings; evaluating and assessing the impact of the program.
- Recruitment of learners: overseeing recruitment plan; coordinating the scheduling of recruitment sessions (led by on-campus teachers); coordinating communication with managers including securing release time for learners and providing attendance updates.
- On-campus outreach: overseeing campus outreach; compiling key contact list; developing outreach priorities/strategies; overseeing communication with managers and supervisors, including input into program development.
- Supervision of campus teachers: holding regular meetings with supervised staff, conducting their annual evaluations. Overseeing curricula development, evaluation, and documentation for all courses.
- Instruction of a workplace English course.
- Coordination of student volunteer program: work with the Office of Civic Engagement and Service Learning to recruit and place undergraduate student volunteers in campus classes; orient student volunteers; provide support to teachers and volunteers for tutoring engagement.
- Likely coordination of several off-campus projects.
- Long-range planning: assist developing, facilitating, and documenting the process of long-range planning.
- Likely involvement in campus initiatives involving key partners.
- Participation in PWE staff meetings and retreats.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree (in education, management, labor studies, or related field) and a minimum of three plus years professional experience in education, management, labor studies, or adult education is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of adult education theory and practice, English instruction and curriculum, curriculum development, program planning, evaluation methods and participatory learning theory required. Excellent writing, partnership, and communication skills required.
- Ability to teach all levels of English language learners.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Advanced knowledge of workplace learning theory and practice preferred.
- Familiarity with ESOL and ABE standardized testing used by MA DESE.
Part-Time, 28 hours/week
PSU Level 27
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. Position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.