About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs general custodial duties in connection with the cleaning and maintenance of buildings in the Auxiliary Enterprises Division. Works as a member of a team cleaning custodial program CCAP – (Cleaning Cost Analysis Program), which includes housekeeping, cleaning, moving furniture and trash removal.
- Removes trash and waste from assigned areas and places at designated site to ensure clean and sanitary conditions and the proper handling of recyclable materials.
- Washes trash and waste receptacles by scrubbing containers and rinsing with hose to provide sanitary conditions and minimize pest infestation.
- Cleans and restocks bathrooms and lavatories by cleaning and disinfecting toilets, sinks, showers, stall partitions and floor areas to ensure clean, sanitary and disinfected facilities.
- Maintains walls, ceilings, doors and horizontal surfaces by dusting and washing with detergent solutions to provide a clean and attractive facility.
- Maintains furniture by dusting, washing with detergent solution and polishing to provide a clean and attractive facility.
- Cleans glass and mirrors by washing with glass cleaning solution to provide a clean and attractive facility.
- Maintains carpeted areas by vacuuming and spot cleaning to prolong life of carpet and maintain a clean and attractive facility.
- Maintains hard floor surfaces by sweeping, mopping, stripping and waxing to prolong life of floor surfaces and maintain a clean and attractive facility.
- Assists in keeping exterior areas immediately adjacent to buildings clean by sweeping, removing trash, and removing snow and ice to maintain safe and attractive entrances to our facilities.
- Moves and arranges furniture per specific room plans and to accommodate client needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Knowledge of the methods used in institutional cleaning.
- Ability to withstand the physical strain of performing manual tasks, climbing stairs, lifting, climbing ladders and bending.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Ability to use simple hand and power cleaning equipment.
This position will be within any of the Auxiliary Enterprises locations such as Berkshire Dining Hall, Hampshire Dining Hall, Franklin Dining Hall, Worcester Dining Hall, Bluewall Café, and other Auxiliary Enterprises Cafés.
Schedule will vary based on location and department needs.
Level I ($13.50- $17.50)
Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to completing the application, applicants should provide a resume and three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.