About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Review and process employment transactions for accuracy and adherence to established policies and procedures. Enter employment and payroll information into the HR Direct (PeopleSoft) payroll system as it relates to specific employee groups.
Run audit reports/queries to verify employment and payroll status. Work with HR staff, departmental Personnel Coordinators and employees to promote an environment of 100% customer satisfaction.
Human Resources Information Systems:
- Review, verify and enter data on personnel action forms for faculty, staff and students.
- Research and resolve problems associated with employment status using both printed and electronic data; escalate complex issues to appropriate specialty area.
- Act as liaison between employees, departments and agencies as needed.
- Fill in for/or assist other HR Operations staff in their absence, during peak periods or as their workload deems it necessary.
- Keep current in knowledge of systems, technology, policies, practices, and organization structure.
- Run audit reports/queries and make appropriate changes to HR Direct records.
- Deliver on service expectations in both quality and productivity.
- Provide day-to-day support to other team members; train and mentor new employees, and willingly support workload and back-up plans as needed.
- Provide support to other sections within Human Resources as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Equivalent of high school diploma.
- Previous customer service experience.
- Knowledge of HR policies, practices and systems.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving and listening skills, as well as the know-how to probe for more information and/or to recognize when an issue needs to be escalated.
- Ability to remain organized, prioritize work and take ownership for work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks while providing positive and professional experience to our customer(s).
- Adept at working with diverse community and with people at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to deal appropriately with confidential and sensitive information.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Experience with PeopleSoft.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
Qualifications acquired on the job:
- Develop a firm understanding of UMass Amherst policies, initiatives, and legal/compliance guidelines.
- Ability to use Human Resources Information System.
- Develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with team members, peers, and managers.
Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.