Maintenance Equipment Operator II
Job no: 510460
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Grounds Departments
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Operates heavy or specialized equipment used in roadway, walkway, and landscape construction and maintenance. Reports directly to the Head of Ground Services Section – Construction Services.
- Operates heavy or specialized equipment used in roadway, walkway, landscape construction and maintenance such as excavator; backhoe with extension boom and multiple attachments coupler; road grader; road sweeper; 5- to 10-ton vibratory road roller; 4½-yard front end loader with multiple-use front end; tractor trailer with assorted trailers, 24-ton bulldozer; self-propelled asphalt paver; heavy dump truck; hydraulic power side dresser; curb paver; 5-ton fork lift; 60-foot bucket truck; and related equipment.
- Makes emergency repairs of a minor nature to heavy or specialized highway construction and landscape maintenance equipment.
- Operates motor truck including tractor trailer and trailers to travel to various designated locations for the pickup and delivery of supplies and equipment.
- Operates heavy equipment for hauling construction materials.
- Operates road plows, sanders, and heavy equipment in conjunction with snow removal operations.
- Acts as team leader and provides work assignments and functional supervision to student employees, maintainers, skilled laborers, 03-funded employees, and other maintenance equipment operators.
- Coordinates work and maintains records on special projects with campus faculty, staff, contractors, and other customers.
- Trains fellow employees in safe and effective use of heavy or specialized construction equipment.
- Applies for Dig Safe permits and documents important underground conditions not included on existing maps.
- Provides excavation and heavy construction equipment support to utilities crews repairing major utilities system failures and other emergencies, taking necessary precautions to avoid high-voltage electrical, water, gas, and sewer lines, and other underground structures.
- Mixes sand, salt, and chemicals as needed.
- Ensures safe worksite conditions.
- Performs related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Considerable knowledge of the methods and techniques used in the utilization, care, and safe operation of a wide variety of heavy or specialized highway construction and landscape maintenance equipment.
- Knowledge of the state laws pertaining to the operation of heavy equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment and to perform manual labor for extended periods in varying climactic conditions.
- Considerable experience in the operation of a variety of heavy or specialized highway construction and landscape maintenance equipment.
- Knowledge of Dig Safe laws and regulations.
- Ability to develop and maintain harmonious working relationships with staff and customers.
- Experience using heavy construction equipment including tractor trailer dump truck, excavator, front end loader with multi-function front end, and backhoe with multiple attachments coupler preferred.
- A valid Massachusetts Class "A" Commercial Drivers License with Air Brakes.
- A valid Class "2A" Hoisting License.
- Must be able to pass NIDA 5 Drug Screen, per Federal CFR 49
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Work involves regular exposure to various climate conditions outdoors.
Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 3:00 pm (40 hours per week)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend