About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Talent Acquisition/Diversity Recruiting Consultant is charged with creating innovative campus and community wide programs to help the University of Massachusetts Amherst (“UMass Amherst”) accelerate its diversity hiring practices. This position uses a project management mindset and creative entrepreneurial spirit to build diversity recruiting programs, and is the subject matter expert on how to best source and build pipelines of talent from underrepresented employee groups. This position will work as part of a team responsible for creating and implementing best practices in recruitment and search processes to support the University in attracting the best in talent. This is a highly visible position for the campus and liaises with all levels of the organization.
- Monitor all aspects of staff and faculty recruitment and search activities for assigned areas, including advising on and approving search proposals, overseeing management of applicant statuses and communications in the applicant tracking system, and reviewing and approving hiring proposals.
- Advise hiring authorities regarding recruiting and employment procedures, including affirmative action and equal opportunity compliance for searches, and University-related affirmative action efforts and policies.
- Guide hiring authorities through the recruitment process, ensuring a high-touch candidate experience and well-organized process. Ensure positions are closed and filled in a timely manner.
- Create and institute diversity programs centered around attracting the best talent from all backgrounds to increase diversity in the workforce, connecting skillsets and ambition with opportunities.
- Forge relationships with diversity programming stakeholders and leadership across the university to maximize partnership opportunities and institutional support for new initiatives related to maximizing diversity hiring opportunities and expanding talent pipelines.
- Research and attend diversity-oriented recruiting events with a focus on promoting UMass Amherst opportunities, and connecting with job seekers from under represented employee groups to create leads of exceptional talent for a variety of roles.
- Develop video trainings and other material to educate and inform hiring departments on how to integrate compliant diversity hiring strategies into each search processes.
- Keep abreast of latest recruiting strategies and serve as a subject matter expert to other HR colleagues for sourcing and market advice.
- Lend support on recruitment efforts for key searches requiring specialized sourcing and high-touch candidate experiences.
- Maintain relationships with key networking contacts via LinkedIn and other sourcing channels to enhance diversity recruiting efforts.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree and four years of full cycle recruiting experience.
- Diversity programming experience.
- Executive presence and excellent overall business acumen.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be a professional, proactive, collaborative, and adaptable team player with a positive attitude.
- Ability to effectively communicate with diverse groups of individuals and departments to assist in a wide range of talent acquisition matters.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and applicant tracking systems.
- Excellent time management, follow-through and organizational skills; ability to handle multiple priorities with a high degree of accuracy in a fast-paced environment.
- Project management experience.
- Ability to travel for networking events (est. 10% of time).
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience in Higher Education or the public sector.
- Experience attending career fairs and national conferences.
- Familiarity with OFCCP recruiting requirements.
- Bilingual in Spanish or Mandarin.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
Monday-Friday, 8:30 am -5:00 pm.
Exempt Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. Review of candidates will begin December 1, 2021, and the position will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.