About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Employee Engagement and Communications Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of planning and logistics for high-profile Human Resources events and programs that enhance the university’s responsiveness to employee needs at all stages of the employee life cycle. This position will partner with members of the Office of Human Resources team and campus partners to support a wide range of employee engagement initiatives. This role also has primary responsibility for managing the Office of Human Resources’ website, written communication, and social media.
- Develop, plan, and execute all aspects of employee events, activities, and reward and recognition programs to help create a highly engaged culture in which employees feel valued. Collaborate with colleagues in Human Resources and across the campus to ensure proper execution of details for all events.
- Create systems and documented procedures to enhance and streamline the event management process, including technology and publicity. Regularly assesses the success of events and makes changes as necessary. Generate ideas for new events to help the Office of Human Resources meet its strategic goals.
- Develop content for Human Resources communications including brochures and other print materials, internal communication vehicles (email, newsletter, annual reports, etc.), news and public relations, and other communication activities. Update the Human Resources web site using the content management system to inform employees and applicants about HR resources, policies, benefits, and initiatives.
- With a particular focus on a positive, informative, and welcoming experience, develop and administer new employee orientation programming that introduces benefitted and non-benefitted employees to the UMass Amherst campus, providing an overview of benefits, services, and campus operations.
- Provide departmental wide support for various engagement and human resources initiatives. Represents Human Resources on relevant committees, suggest solutions and propose action.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of relevant experience in communication, marketing, or a related field.
- Excellent planning, organizational, and facilitation skills with a high level of attention to detail and quality.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Excellent use of grammar and style. Experience designing and delivering effective presentations or trainings.
- Passion for employee engagement and cultivating constructive and cooperative working relationships with colleagues.
- Proactive, collaborative, and adaptable team player.
- Outstanding customer-focused attitude, with a high degree of professionalism and discretion, and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to manage and schedule work independently and reliably, with a sense of urgency and ownership.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Higher education experience.
- Social media experience.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment. Ability to lead weekly trainings and provide campus tours to large groups of employees.
Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Exempt Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. The position will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.