Departmental Assistant - Bakery Assistant
Job no: 514205
Work type: Hourly
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Auxiliary Services
Categories: Food Service/Hospitality, Temporary Non-Benefited
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Prepare baked goods such as bread, rolls and pastries; decorate cakes and other baked goods; operates equipment such as bread slicers, mixers and ovens; inspect baking ingredients for spoilage.
- Prepares baked goods by assembling utensils and ingredients; weighing and measuring ingredients; rolling, cutting and shaping dough for rolls, bread and pastries; fills molds and pans with prepared food; placing and removing trays and pans from oven; mixing fillings, icing, glazes and other toppings and ingredients for bread, rolls, pastries and other baked goods.
- Decorates cakes and other baked goods with icing and adds fillings to various pastries.
- Operates equipment such as bread slicers, large and small mixers and fryolators according to standard procedures to facilitate the baking process.
- Inspects baking ingredients such as flour, sugar and shortening to detect spoilage.
- Cuts, bags, and wraps baked goods and places food in carts or trucks for delivery to other locations.
- Performs related duties such as cleaning and/or sterilizing equipment and work areas.
- May prepare puddings, fruit gelatins and other specialty items.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Ability to read and interpret weights and measures tables.
- Ability to calculate percentages, ratios and proportions.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules, policies, and procedures governing the operation of the Auxiliary Enterprises Bake Shop.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
Schedule will vary based on location and department needs.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application, submit a resume and contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend