About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Personnel and Financial Coordinator supports the smooth and effective execution of the department personnel processes and provides support for the department’s financial administration.
- Assist the Director of Administration and Research (DAR) and Personnel Committee Chair in the preparation of all faculty tenure and mini-tenure cases, PMYR cases, annual faculty reports, faculty publication lists, sabbatical leave requests, unpaid leaves, course buyouts, and other personnel actions as needed.
- Coordinate faculty and staff searches, including implementing advertising strategy, prepare final recommendation documentation, maintain search records and prepare related reports.
- Prepare hiring forms for faculty, student assistants, and visiting faculty. Brief the Department Chair and DAR of upcoming personnel actions, requirements and deadlines. Prepare additional compensation forms, late pay forms, and other routine personnel actions.
- Track faculty teaching obligations and course releases, committee assignments, and related faculty obligations for department planning purposes. Maintain organized department faculty personnel files (online and hard copy).
- Manage the department’s time and attendance process for the department staff, faculty and student employees. Input hours for undergrad and grad student assistants. Complete forms and make corrections to reported time when needed.
- Under the direction of the Financial Manager, process travel and other reimbursements. Prepare purchase requisitions and serve as the department purchasing coordinator, ensuring accurate record keeping, and timely report and audit submissions. Serve as a liaison with vendors to ensure appropriate delivery of services or products.
- Process other financial requests and provide additional assistance or support to the Financial Manager.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisors showing adaptability and flexibility to accomplish goals.
- Serve in a back-up role for other department staff as appropriate and needed.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High School Diploma.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team with a highly cooperative and collaborative work style.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to complete assignments in a timely manner, balancing the demands of concurrent and potentially competing projects.
- Ability to write concisely and informatively with proper grammar and appropriate business style. Must be able to develop ideas in a logical sequence to write effective reports, letters, emails, or web-based information for internal and external audiences.
- Expert computer usage skills including spreadsheet, word processing, database and presentation software with the ability to quickly learn new software programs needed for position duties.
- Excellent ability to maintain database records, analyze data, and prepare reports and presentations from those records.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with the ability to interact effectively, and create and maintain harmonious relationships with a diverse population of staff, faculty, students and off-campus constituents.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions and create effective and efficient work processes. Ability to work effectively under pressure and varying situations with independence, competent judgment and confidentiality.
- Flexibility to work with initiative and willingness to take on a variety of tasks related to the successful administration of the unit.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Associates degree in Business Administration.
- 2 years full-time or equivalent part-time office work experience.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Experience with human resources and financial administration.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm (37.5 hours per week).
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the University Staff Association, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the University Staff Association collective bargaining agreement, therefore.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants should provide a resume, cover letter and three professional references with their application.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.