Clerk IV - Admin Assistant
Job no: 515210
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Utility Power Plant
Categories: Administrative/Office Support, Facilities/Grounds
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the general direction of the Assistant Director for Utilities, the Clerk IV Administrative Assistant performs clerical duties requiring a considerable degree of decision making. The incumbent serves as secretary to the Electrical and Mechanical Utilities Manager and the Assistant Director for Grounds Management. Acts as principal contact and liaison between Physical Plant and campus customers for event planning and support.
- Serve visitors by greeting, welcoming and directing them within the Physical Plant.
- Answer inquiries related to the Physical Plant's rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Schedule and arrange for conferences, meetings, interviews, appointments and similar activities by reserving required facilities; checking the availability of parties involved and notifying attendees of dates, times and locations.
- Establish and maintain records and files; compile information to be used in reports.
- Market the Physical Plant capabilities/resources related to campus event support through Twitter, Facebook, online resources and in-person.
- Proofread typed material for grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors for proper format, accuracy and completeness; compose correspondence for routine letters; type confidential Annual Performance Reviews, letters of discipline, offers of employment and grievance responses.
- Enter monthly Emergency Generator and Storage Tank Protection Inspection Data into the Enviance system; enter Asbestos/Lead Lab findings and abatement information into E*MPAC.
- Coordinate Dig Safe requests with the Dig Safe coordinator, Dig Safe Headquarters and various University agencies/departments. When required, provide substitute coverage for the Dig Safe Coordinator's administrative duties to complete Dig Safe requests, receive and log requests, obtain information on Dig Safe location, obtain confirmation numbers and properly file mapping data & reports.
- Monitor submitted land use requests, secure appropriate approvals and maintain land use/events online calendar; schedule appointments and visits for viewing available spaces; represent the Physical Plant in matters related to events at campus event planning meetings; attend events to facilitate operations and respond to emergencies and problems; communicate with Plant managers/supervisors to schedule appropriate staff to cover support for events; create layouts for on-site production and clean up at events; facilitate utility (electrical and water), waste management, landscape and custodial support for events.
- Serve as Physical Plant liaison with vendors, contractors, students, university personnel and maintenance employees; purchase items on bank card.
- Work with computer software such as word processing, spreadsheets, maintenance management database systems, Tririga, Buyways and DocuSign.
- Operate general and specialized office machinery such as area phone centers, copiers, fax machines and computers.
- Keep the front desk organized and presentable with all necessary materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school diploma plus three (3) years of office experience.
- At least two (2) years of experience coordinating events.
- Ability to develop and execute clerical procedures and operations; knowledge of business English, spelling, composition and editing skills.
- Knowledge of event planning, public relations, marketing principles and practices.
- Ability to operate a computer, knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets and other software applications.
- Considerable knowledge of general office practices and procedures; including operation of office equipment, developing and maintaining central files.
- Ability to organize multiple projects and work assignments with various staff and volunteers.
- Ability to maintain records and develop periodic reports.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
- Primary work station will be the reception area on the main floor of the Physical Plant.
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB:
- Knowledge of the university rules, policies and procedures.
- Understanding of the university and Physical Plant budgeting process.
- Complete the university’s Supervisory Leadership Development program.
- Ability to complete the administrative portion of a Dig Safe request.
- Ability to work with Tririga, Buyways, DocuSign or similar programs.
- Monday–Friday, 8:30AM-4:30PM
- 37.5 hours per week
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application, submit resume and contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend