Customer Service Representative - Facilities & Campus Services
Job no: 515324
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: FCS Admin Services
Categories: Administrative/Office Support, Facilities/Grounds
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Customer Service Representative (CSR) is the primary point of contact between Facilities & Campus Services (F&CS) and the UMass Amherst campus community. The CSR facilitates communication between customers and campus service providers/external service providers to establish job scope, clarity expectations, obtain funding, troubleshoot problems, and resolve complaints.
- Acts as the principal facilities advisor for an area of assigned campus customers. Develops priorities and becomes a familiar point of contact with departmental representatives.
- Manages multi-trade/multi-unit service work that requires coordination with customer and service providers. Oversees work from start to finish to ensure work meets agreed objectives with customer and tracks work performance against budget.
- Participates in the oversight of small projects, including the scheduling and coordination of multiple trades, communication of the project status and expectations with customers, and follow-up after the completion of work.
- Leads and coordinates job meetings that involve multiple participants and stakeholders, including outside contractors/vendors, Environmental Health and Safety, Physical Plant Maintenance and Custodial staff, Campus Planning, Design and Construction Management, and other campus partners.
- Exercises independent judgement/authority in routing requests for services and determining billable/non-billable work.
- Organizes and leads walk-throughs with customers to identify outstanding maintenance issues. Routes identified issues to appropriate team and monitors work through completion.
- Collaborates with service providers to produce quotes for billable work. Clarifies and explains details to customers.
- Collaborates with members of the administrative team to resolve issues with purchase orders, customer budgets, and other procurement-related needs.
- Works with members of Design and Construction Management and Building Maintenance to address ADA needs, structural and mechanical problems, roofing issues, lighting and electrical needs, and other large-scale facilities challenges.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Business Management, Engineering, Construction Management, Marketing, Communication, and two (2) years’ experience in construction, higher education facilities management, or customer service OR an Associate’s Degree, preferably in Business Management, Engineering, Construction Management, Marketing, Communication, and four (4) years’ experience in construction, higher education facilities management, or customer service.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to establish and ability to maintain relationships with customers. Must have the ability to foster and maintain harmonious relationships with others.
- Knowledge and experience in construction and maintenance fields and terminology.
- Ability to organize multiple tasks/jobs at once with minimal supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including word processing, databases, spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of the methods used in planning, estimating, and scheduling work.
- Knowledge of materials, tools, and work procedures of building trades and ability to convert this knowledge into materials lists, labor requirements, and work schedule.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office working conditions.
- Travels around campus.
- Monday - Friday, first shift.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references by August 19th, 2022 for priority consideration. The search may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend