About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Provides executive level support to the Vice Chancellor for University Relations. Assists in a wide range of administrative activities and confidential matters requiring a high degree of knowledge, competence, and judgement skills.
- Provides executive level support to the Vice Chancellor (VC) including managing the VC’s daily schedule, composing, editing, proofreading, formatting correspondence, and assisting in the preparation of confidential reports.
- Proactively manages and anticipates the flow of the Vice Chancellor’s work and sets priorities.
- Reviews all action-required items including sensitive and confidential information with the VC and coordinates appropriate means of communications/action needed. Exercises judgement when distributing information to other campus departments and external constituents.
- Acts as direct liaison for the Vice Chancellor to all executive area staff, campus administration, deans, department heads, Presidents Office staff, and external constituents.
- Serves as Office Manager, ensuring a high standard of professionalism is maintained.
- Hires and supervises student employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Four (4) years of office management experience.
- A high school diploma may be substituted for one (1) year of the required experience.
- An Associate's degree may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- High degree of independent action and initiative. Ability to make sound judgements with minimal supervision.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and assignments and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to handle issues of a confidential nature.
- Advanced computer skills.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- Monday-Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm (37.5 hours a week).
- Hybrid Work: This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position is non-unit, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees Non-Unit (Professional/or Classified) Employee Personnel Policy.
Special Instruction to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit your resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.