Associate News Editor (2 positions) (Hybrid)
Job no: 517693
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: News and Media Relations
Categories: Public Relations, Marketing, Communications
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Associate News Editor develops and markets information to highlight the achievements of the campus and the members of its community, employing multi-media newsgathering skills. A primary focus is promoting research and expertise from the University’s schools and colleges, including opportunities tied to breaking news each day to position UMass Amherst as a nationally recognized research university.
- Identify, research and produce breaking news pitches, expert tip sheets, news releases, feature stories, news summaries, and social media content. Identify opportunities for video, audio and photo content. Work closely with college and school officials within the University, particularly campus communicators and deans, and responding promptly to reporters’ inquiries.
- Facilitate strategic placement of stories in local, regional and national media.
- Advise faculty, administrators and staff on how to appear before the media, including preparation of briefing material, crafting the message, fielding questions and assessing public perception of the University.
- Respond to media queries and serve on occasion as a spokesperson for the campus.
- Participate as a member of the emergency communications team as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of experience in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to accurately translate technical or scholarly information into common language.
- Knowledge of social media and its use in media relations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with with a wide range of audiences, including the University community, the public, alumni and donors, and members of the press.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member, exercising sound judgment under deadline conditions.
- Strong time-management abilities.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm (37.5 hours/week).
- Requires the availability to work outside of normal business hours as needed.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Hiring Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information of three professional references. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend